Saturday 12 February 2011

The best flapjack recipe in the world - just ask my kids (and their friends!) :)





FLAPJACK

8 ozs stork margarine
4 ozs demerera sugar
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
10 ozs porridge oats
2 ozs plain flour

Regulate your oven to Gas Mark 4

Melt the margarine, sugar and golden syrup over a low light until melted and combined.  It will look sticky, bubbly and golden - this might take a few minutes but is better done slowly so that all the ingredients combine.

Take off the heat and add the porridge oats and plain flour and mix well.

Turn into a greased baking tin with 1" sides and press into all corners with a palette knife - I use a tin roughly 10 x 6 inches in size. 

Place in the oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown as you see in the pictures.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before cutting into 16 pieces - don't remove from the tin until completely cooled.  You can decorate if you want by dripping melted chocolate over the top but in our house it goes down well either on its own or with homemade custard.

Enjoy :)

11 comments:

  1. Going to try this with Agave instead of golden syrup and xylitol instead of sugar. Maybe wheat fibre and protein powder instead of flour. I have a question before I get the ingredients. Do you mean the hard Stork margerine in a bar or the soft Stork margerine in a tub?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jwt, you can use either of the stork, the block or the tub, I believe the block is dairy free. It should work with agave but dont know about the xylitol. I make it gluten free now and use Bob's red mill flour for wheat free. Hope it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'll try the block. I'll let you know how it goes if I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ended up using co op buttery. Xylitol melted just like sugar. Hopefully using dark agave will've compensated flavour wise for not using a brown sugar. A bit burnt after 25 minutes on 170° fan... Good job I checked it! I'll taste soon once it's cool... Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it is a bit trial and error when you change a recipe - I am coeliac and having to change all my previous recipes to gluten free - bit of a nightmare. Hope it tastes good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🤮 Oh no! I'll stick to your recipe next time! I messed up proportions... It's edible... So there's that! Trial and error like you say. I'll get there. Life is for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better luck next time. At least it's edible, it's expensive when it isn't ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2nd time lucky! This is it as good as I can get it using these alternative ingredients. Only needed 20 minutes at 170° fan. Thanks Ellie! Keep baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are delicious and so easy to make! Thank you so much for posting your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ellie, can I put nuts and chocolate chips in the recipe? If so how much and would I edit the original recipe?? Perhaps the baking time?

    ReplyDelete

Friday Night With Friends Stitching  A quiet Friday evening stitching my Royal School of Needlework Canvaswork.  It doesn't look much bu...