Saturday 19 February 2011

Whitehaven - a little town with a big history :)


Once the fourth most important port in England after London, Bristol & Liverpool.



One of the many anchors around the harbour representing the history of the town including shipping coal, sugar from the West Indies, exported lime & rum, slave trade and fishing.


Scotland is in the background behind the lighthouse


Whitehaven Harbour - the scene of the last invasion of Britain by John Paul Jones on April 23rd 1778 just after midnight with 30 men - he was unsuccessful and fled to Scotland.  He was later pardoned at one of the Maritime Festivals.


The Candlestick - reputedly designed by the Lowther family who lived in Whitehaven Castle - the design was taken from a pair of the Baronets favourite candlesticks in 1750.

2 comments:

  1. Woot Woot Woot thanks for the little view into Whitehaven . . . I wonder where my tour guide will take me next.
    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine

    Catching up with a little work (well - alot of work really) as I am behind with everything. Still got to finish my bag - its on the table ready to be stitched - I just don't get chance to get in there :) Catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Friday Night With Friends Stitching  A quiet Friday evening stitching my Royal School of Needlework Canvaswork.  It doesn't look much bu...