Saturday 26 July 2014

A little bit of a book review...

It's all stations go at the moment as I try to get organised for going into hospital.  I am going to be out of action for about three months but I am hoping that I will be able to use my laptop while recuperating.  

I decided it would be a good idea to get myself some new books ahead of not being able to get out and about.

The first is one that I have pinched from my daughter's bookshelf.  


Having decided that she would like to have a go at sewing and follow in her Mother's, Grandmother's and Great-Grandmother's footsteps this was the book that I decided would be the best guide.  It is quite a thick book with 384 pages.  Everything is covered from applique to zippers, easy to find throughout the book and very well illustrated with clear pictures laid out with easy to follow instructions.  I like the fact it is a nice easy read and would recommend it for beginners or stitchers that have taken a break and want to get back into the sewing world.

My second choice is The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard.


It is a large spiral bound handbook of 160 pages.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered this as I use quite a lot of Heirloom sewing techniques in my sewing so was unsure if it would tell me anything new.  However, upon receiving it I couldn't wait to get stuck in.  It is beautifully set out with very clear illustrations, photographs and step by step guides to each technique.  There are so many ideas in this book with clever tips that you may not have thought about and takes you into the world of High Fashion and how they get those fabulous looks on the catwalk. Choosing fabric, making toiles, embellishment ideas and so many of them of very simple.  I was really surprised but it is one that I will be keeping on my bookshelf and would recommend to any stitchers, new or old.  One note though, the technique on the front of the book is not covered in the book which seems to disappoint a few people.  This is a hand smocking technique which can be used on the right or wrong side of fabric and creates amazing results.  I have used this on sleeves, handbags, children's smocked dresses but it can easily be applied to tops and gifts.

Last but definitely not least is this one, The Wedding Dress by Becky Drinan.


What a beautiful book, brand new to the book market as it was only released this year by The Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Ltd.

The book consists of 175 pages along with a pocket at the back with the patterns to make the three dresses included in the book in various sizes.  Although it is a wedding dress book, the patterns would equally suit other occasions.  Becky covers all sorts of things to think about including which styles to think about when designing wedding dresses/prom dresses/special occasion dresses.  Fabric choices including lace, interlinings and toiles.  Embellishments and even veils are covered.  It is a very informative book with lots of illustrations, beautiful photography and clear instructions.  I am sure that I will use it to refer to when making a wedding dress and I am glad I made the purchase. 

I purchased all my books from Amazon - mainly because I like to read the reviews and do find them helpful when making your choice.

Happy reading (and sewing) :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Night With Friends Stitching  A quiet Friday evening stitching my Royal School of Needlework Canvaswork.  It doesn't look much bu...