Wednesday, 17 November 2010

WOW - What can I say - The Fat Quarters

I was at Newcastle for an RVI appointment yesterday - all went well - we did a little Christmas shopping, of course we visited Ikea and ended up having lunch there because it looked so yummy.  Swedish meatballs in white gravy - delish. 

BUT - the best part of the day - except for my darling husband's company and help all day - love him to pieces - was getting to a shop called The Fat Quarters.  I have ordered from them in the past but this was my first visit.

We got there at 3.35 pm with a sign on the door saying that it closes at 4.00 pm - oh gutted I had 25 minutes to look - NOOOO.  I walked in and was greeted by two lovely girls and mentioned that I had come from Whitehaven for an appointment and would try to be as quick as possible - looking around the shop - this was going to be no mean feat - crikey - 25 minutes - not a chance.  The two ladies - asking what I would like to drink and putting the kettle told me - don't worry about the time - doesn't matter - what a relief.

By 4.45 pm I had made my last purchases - just don't ask - but I did do my Christmas shopping in there and got some great projects for next year.  The shop is just fabulous - over 8,000 fabrics in one place - Tilda to die for - BOM with a great choice - that many that I couldn't make my mind up there and then.  All kinds of magazines, notions, books, finished works of art to just gaze at - I need to take my sleeping bag next time - I am sure they wouldn't mind and I am also sure I wasn't the first to ask!!!! lol

By far the highlight of the shop was the enthusiasm, knowledge and great customer service by the two ladies for my whole time spent there - I just didn't want to leave.  It is a long time since I have met owners of a shop that could tell you everything that was in the shop, about its history - flooded a couple of years ago but you would never tell and so helpful to a beginner quilter like me.  I know all about classes that they do - retreats, workshops, day classes, projects but will end with this note - well worth a visit from Whitehaven or anywhere else just to go to the shop - drop your family off at the Metro Centre or send them walking in the hills of Durham - but definitely visit them and give yourself plenty of time - I am working on my Dad now to take me back next week after my next RVI appointment.