Sunday 17 September 2017

WOW Cake Company

We were lucky to be invited to a Coeliac bakery demonstration on Saturday by the WOW Cake Company owned by Susan.  It is based in Lancashire - the next county to us so we had to show our support being a local business.

The WOW Cake Company make Gluten, Wheat and Nut free cake mixes and Susan demonstrated chocolate brownies and a lemon drizzle cake.


The cake mixes include chocolate brownie, carrot cake and a sponge mix.  I bought the catering size pack as I do alot of baking particularly for family, night shift and my extended family and friends so they were good value.  I checked the ingredients for these mixes and was delighted to see that they use Callebaut Chocolate.  This is beautiful Belgian chocolate with a high cocoa content and makes delicious tasting chocolate cookies and cakes along with truffles.  The mixes only need butter and eggs added to them so they are really easy to use.  They are also bringing out a pastry mix - that can't be soon enough as gluten free pastry is a nightmare, I do manage to make it but it is not something I enjoy doing unlike when I used to make normal pastry and never had a problem.


I was also lucky enough to win four packs of the standard size mixes in the raffle which was absolutely brilliant, I don't win at raffles so I was really pleased.


This is what happens when you find a product that you believe in, when you have watched someone with a passion for good food and taste do a cookery demonstration.  30 eggs picked up at the farm on the way home and get the Callebaut chocolate out of the cupboard.


Today's sample is going to be Mint Chocolate Brownie. One pack of the Chocolate Brownie mix, 114 grams of butter, 3 eggs and a whole bar of Peppermint Aero chopped up into pieces.  The smell coming from the oven is delicious.


Oh My Goodness.  They taste divine, you can smell the mint before you even eat them.  The texture is melt in the mouth but also chewy, just what you expect from a brownie.  The packet says it makes 12 however I cut mine into 16, nine for Borge's work, seven for home.  When it comes to cost I worked out it was 5.67 for 16 making it 35p per brownie.  This is very good value as I only know one other brownie that can comes close to taste and they cost 1.70 each.

Many thanks to Susan and also to Peter and Jean Forster for holding the demonstration at Braithwaite.  We thoroughly enjoyed our few hours and also our gluten free lunch.  We look forward to meeting again and also to the Gluten Free Food Fair at Penrith on Sunday 8th October 2017. 


No comments:

Post a Comment