Friday 18 August 2017

Sizergh Castle...

A beautiful castle on the outskirts of Kendal.  It has been owned by the same family for over 778 years.


The stunning stairs at the back of the property.







Swans, beehives, an orchard and a kitchen garden.  They are stunning.


My favourite part.  This letter was written by an older father who knew he wouldn't be around when his child grew up.  


It was a brilliant day out, we worked over five miles so not for the faint hearted.

Plenty of parking, disabled access, tour guides and a gift shop.

The restaurant/coffee shop had meals for vegetarian, vegan, dairy free and gluten free.  The service was first class and the food tasted delicious.  I had tomato and fennel soup with a GF seeded brown roll and Baked To Taste Millionaires Shortbread.  It was nice going to somewhere that I didn't have to ask alot of questions about the food and to have a choice of what to have and all of it listed on the blackboard.

It might seem like I spend alot of time talking about food.  I am a trained chef and have nearly always been able to just get on and make what I liked but since my Ceoliac diagnosis I have been surprised by the lack of good eating places and the amount of people that seem to think it is ok to ask whether it's just that I don't like eating gluten or do I really have a problem with gluten.  I find it a very personal question to ask by somebody that you don't know.  It is a risk to my health to the point that in the last six weeks I ended up in hospital 20 minutes after being 'glutened' and I know that I am not the only Ceoliac that is this sensitive to food.  This is why it is such a bonus when you do find places you can just visit and eat without having to do the research first.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Night With Friends Stitching  A quiet Friday evening stitching my Royal School of Needlework Canvaswork.  It doesn't look much bu...