Saturday 19 August 2017

Gail Pan Berries & Bluebirds...

Block No.3 all finished and pressed and a little bit of a tutorial...


Pressed from the back using a non-steam iron and a little bit of Best Press applied to the back only.


A close up of the stitching.  The Aurifil thread cannot be seen from the top.


I haven't got exact colour matches but they are close and you cannot see the thread at all.


The view from the back.

The first block I stitched looked like this then it changed after I had taken a couple of months off and I couldn't understand why.

Two things changed, the first was the direction I was stitching.  The easiest direction to stitch the applique is right to left.  So the needle goes slightly underneath the applique motif 1/8" across, then the needle comes up and catches only one or two threads of the motif and repeats.  This leaves no trace of thread on the top and only a little length of thread underneath.

The second was I started using double thread, I don't know why.  When I stitched with the Aurifil I changed it to just a single thread of fairly short lengths which made it easier to pass through.  I wanted to share this information, I appreciate everybody has their own way of doing applique but so far this is my favourite and I am really happy with the results.

Also cut all of ours and the neighbours lawns today and barely finished when the lawnmover decided it had had enough and packed up so lawnmower hunting next week some time, in no rush.  Off out for a couple of cheeky drinks with darling hubby as everyone else has gone out so why not us :)

Enjoy what's left of the weekend :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Night With Friends Stitching  A quiet Friday evening stitching my Royal School of Needlework Canvaswork.  It doesn't look much bu...